- Boards & Commissions
- Landscape & Design Committee
Landscape & Design Committee
- 4 p.m.
- 2nd Wednesday of every month
- City Hall
25 Court Street
Mayor's Conference Room
Cortland, NY 13045
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Mike Dexter (Chair)
10 Cedar Street
Cortland NY, 13045
Terms & CompensationThere shall be a Landscape and Design Commission consisting of 7 members who shall be appointed by the Mayor with confirmation by the Common Council. The term of office of each Commissioner shall be 3 years from the first day of January following his/her appointment, except that the term of office of Commissioners first appointed to the Landscape and Design Commission shall be staggered so that 3 members shall be appointed for 3-year terms, 2 members for 2-year terms, and 2 members for 1-year terms.
The Commissioners shall serve without compensation, except the Council may authorize compensation for expenses. The Landscape and Design Commission shall, at the beginning of each year, elect one of its members as Chairperson.
Powers & DutiesThe Landscape and Design Commission shall have the following powers and duties:
- To study, investigate, counsel, develop and oversee a written plan for the care, preservation, pruning, planting and/or replanting of trees and shrubs in parks, along streets, and in other public areas, which shall be considered the Comprehensive City Tree Plan.
- To advise the Common Council or any other body, department, official or agency having jurisdiction with respect to any subject of the Comprehensive City Tree Plan or to any policy or procedure relating thereto, to the end that the Comprehensive City Tree Plan shall serve as a guide for public policies, procedures and actions relating to the subjects thereto.
- To collect information on tree species and location.
- To develop and maintain a list of desirable and undesirable trees for planting along streets.
- To study and consider the implementation of and all proposed amendments to the Tree Ordinance
- To act on any matter on which the Landscape and Design Commission is required or authorized to act by provisions of this article or any ordinance of the City or any general law or any action of the Common Council.
- To educate the public and increase public awareness as to the appropriate and proper manner of planting, maintenance, pruning and care of trees and shrubs.
- To create and maintain an environment that preserves and enhances the public appearance, character and traditions of our neighborhoods and our City.
- To promote the concept of beautification to citizens, government officials, and leaders of commercial, religious and private organizations, including the recognition of efforts to enhance the appearance of our City.
- To fund such beautification projects from monies appropriated by the City government, donated from private and commercial sources and other fundraising projects as may be approved by the City.
- To develop beautification projects or activities within the City.