To qualify for employment as a career firefighter, an individual must:
- Meet residence requirements, if they exist.
- Apply for and take an entry-level Civil Service test periodically given by the municipality in question.
- Successfully pass an agility test and physical.
- Be reachable on the finalized list once vacancies are being filled.
- Be selected as a probationary firefighter.
- Successfully complete basic firefighter training and departmental requirements within required time frames.
- Contact the local Civil Service Office or Fire Department for complete details of requirements and procedures.
More Information & Resources
For more information, contact Firefighter Rich Rogers, President of the Professional Fire Fighters Association at 607-753-1741 or by email
For information about the Civil Service exam, visit the Cortland County Personnel/Civil Service Office Website
, or visit the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control Website
The International Association of Fire Fighters Website
also has a wealth of information, including the latest fire fighting related news.