Local History

Model U Chemical and Hose Truck

This photo was taken outside the old Fireman’s Hall at 38 Main Street in Cortland in April of 1914. The fire truck in the photo is the Cortland Fire Department’s brand new Brockway Model “U” combination chemical and hose truck, price $2,750 “fully equipped.” Pictured with the new fire truck are Earl Hollenbeck, the department chauffeur, at the wheel, and Franklin Pierce, beside him. In the rear of the truck are: “Pete” O’Brien, Charles Oltz, Henry L. Peck, and Charles C. Kinney. Photo provided by Duke Glover, the Cortland Fire Department’s historian.